Thursday, August 6, 2009

The inevitable talk about how neither of these home runs -- Pedroia's or Damon's -- would have been out of Yankee Stadium last year. Never mind that. I saw a photo today of Dave Righetti's final pitch in his no-hitter against Boston. You could see the left-center field power alley over his shoulder. 430 feet. 4 effing 30. Then Woody Woodward became GM in 1985 and moved the fences in. That was the year I started reading Yankees Magazine, and I'd bet I still have that article.

I miss the old days when you could land a plane in the Stadium outfield. And I wasn't even around for the old days of 457 to right center and 461 to left center. Dammit, hitting a home run used to be hard. It meant something. Isn't that the way it should be? It's baseball, not home run derby.

No comments:

Post a Comment