Thursday, August 6, 2009

I called 5.1 innings and 110 pitches for Joba. He threw 108 and has gone 5. I assume his night is over. I hope it is. Though I'd bet he could put it all together for one good sixth, I don't see the point. They're supposed to be managing his innings, but it's really his pitches they should be worried about, and if they let him go out and warm up after 108 pitches, then throw another 15 or 20, it would be hard to take even their revised Joba Rules very seriously.

I think pitchers are way overprotected, but Joba has really labored tonight. The bullpen should not be too taxed. Anyway, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Let's get this win in the books. We haven't beaten these bastards all year, and one win guarantees we wake up Monday in first place. And we won't drop the next three, anyway.

My wife is currently breezing through another thick Harry Potter tome. She's read them all multiple times. The only person I've ever seen read faster than her is Will Hunting. Meanwhile I'm the slowest reader in the world. Maybe if I didn't waste my brain cells surfing the Internet for Red Sox columns to rip apart.

Matsui just rewarded me for my earlier Valentine to him with a two-run double. This year doesn't seem to be wearing him down. Maybe by next spring he's at full health for one or two more years of Matsui-level play. This guy was some player in his prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment