Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Football-And-Beer Saturday (Redundant)

I'm not sure about this Twitter crap. I've been doing it for less than 30 minutes and already think I dislike it. My attention span may be shorter than Milton Bradley's temper, but I still don't think 140 characters is going to hold my thoughts on anything. If there's a way that I can use Twitter to promote both this blog and my OFFICIAL NFL.COM GIANTS BLOG (and I'll get you all the URL as soon as I'm permitted to do so), I will. But I'm not writing 140-character columns. I'm not contributing to the dumbing-down of our nation.

So here's everything that's on my mind right now, and I'll cover each as succinctly as possible: Syracuse football, The Yankees' and Red Sox' playoff prospects (and, to some extent, their current series), the Giants, their injuries, my blogging about them and my impending trip to see them in Kansas City, St. Anselm football's disappointing loss today, U2, grilling in the fall and Entourage. That's enough of a list.

SYRACUSE FOOTBALL

This is freaking me out. I didn't care a whit about the Penn State game. I knew we weren't winning that, and, frankly, was pretty happy not to get annihilated. A 28-7 loss is nothing to be proud of, but at least the Nittany Wife doesn't have an "Oh, you poor thing" look on her face when I come home after 28-7.

But the fact that we are not only sweating out a game against Maine but TRAILING in the third quarter is infuriating. Overtime loss at home against Minnesota? Hey, plenty of reason for optimism. Lose to Penn State? Lot of very good teams will lose to Penn State by 21 points this year. Three-point win after near-collapse vs. Northwestern? We can't be upset about any win against a BCS-conference team. Not after the last four years.

But we're now in danger of losing at home against a Division I-AA team. I don't think I'm betraying any greed when I say that I think we have a right to expect better than that. A loss against South Florida next week may be inevitable, but it will be forgiven if the honeymoon is still going on. If Doug Marrone and Greg Paulus want it to continue, they'd better win this game tonight. In regulation. By at least a touchdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment