Thursday, July 23, 2009

A time to get married, and a time to blog.

Getting married is a lot of work. That probably means that five months before your wedding is not the best time to launch a blog. Certainly not one that you hope to get significant readership and end up as a link on Peter Abraham's blog. But I did it, and I've been grateful for the feedback I've gotten from a lot of you. It has encouraged me to believe that this is something I should continue to pursue.

My sports teams are my lifelong passion -- the Yankees especially -- and writing has been my avocation for a long time now. I have always been a stickler for the rules of grammar and style in my 12 years as an editor and writer in the world of journalism. I'm anal like that, and, I don't mind saying, I'm a pretty good arbiter of those things.

But sometimes, you just want to let some of those things go (by starting a sentence with the word "but," for instance) and just write the way you would talk with a friend over a beer (something I spent hours and hours doing in Ireland on my honeymoon. I don't know if you've heard, but beer is kinda big over there). Hence, the blog. As with most technical advances, I rejected it for years, as I'm currently doing with Twitter. This was stupid. I have a lot to say, and the Yankees are making for some compelling content right now. The blog is my natural ally.

Therefore I am making my pledge to post much more frequently from here on out. The wedding and honeymoon are over. My wife and I have a lot of big projects and decisions to handle in the next few months (no, a baby is not one of them, though a puppy certainly might be!), but there is no reason I can't take a few moments each day to offer my take on what's going on in the greatest rivalry in sports.

I make this pledge in public because now I have to hold myself to it. And I want all of YOU to hold me to it.

Let's get blogging, and LET'S GO YANKEES!

No comments:

Post a Comment