Friday, July 3, 2009

BOYCOTT SELECTION SHOWS!

That's right, I said it. I am calling on you, my loyal readers, to strike a blow against the commoditization of sports information by refusing to watch these made-for-TV-money dog-and-pony shows we call "selection shows."

You would expect a column like this might appear in March, when the most famous of these shows airs. I'll get back to that one in a minute.

I got e-mail reminders yesterday that it was the last day to vote for baseball's all-stars. Seeing that Kevin Youkilis held a slim lead over Mark Teixeira for the starting spot at first base, I rushed online and voted the maximum number of times -- 25 -- for Teixeira.

Voting ended at midnight last night, so I went online this morning and looked to find out the results. Instead, all I found out is that the results will be announced on a TBS selection show, airing Sunday night.


Well, screw that. I shouldn't have to wait until Sunday night to find out the results. Does the Electoral College hold on to the results of a presidential election so Fox News can hold a selection show on Thursday night? Hell, no. The public gets the information when it's available, disseminated through any legitimate news source.

Why can't MLB just announced the results of the all-star voting? Well, it can. But it won't. Not as long as it knows it can package the results in a made-for-profit venture with a business partner.

But guess what. If nobody watched this crap, they wouldn't do it. So the question is: can you hold off a few hours and get the news somewhere else?

I know I can. I came a little late to the March Madness game. I never watched college hoops until I got to college, so it never occurred to me I was supposed to be watching these selection shows. I found out the next day in the newspaper. And just like the rest of you, I ooed and ahhed a little at some of the matchups, at the surprise snubs and last teams in, and, of course, at the matchups for my favorite (Syracuse) and least favorite (UConn) schools. I just did my ooing and ahhing about 12 hours later.

A few years ago I finally watched a selection show for the first time. You know what? I hadn't really been missing anything. Those cameras on the bubble teams as they got in the dance? It is a little nice to see the reaction, but not very insightful. A team that was worried about its chances gets in and is excited. REALLY? NO KIDDING!

The show is a waste of time, and nothing but a money-maker for CBS. But at least that one gives you the results right on time.

This TBS show on Sunday is delaying by two-and-a-half days the release of information that should come out right now. Please. I beg you. Do not condone this by watching the show. Visit one of God-knows-how-many Web sites later and find out who will be starting the All-Star Game.

No comments:

Post a Comment