Thursday, April 16, 2009

Bob Costas, Harold Reynolds and the great Jim Kaat, whom intelligent Yankee fans miss dearly on YES broadcasts, just finished a full inning of chat with Bud Selig, who is full of crap. Costas asked him a fair question: should the baseball record books include something that denotes the influence of steroids on some records. Selig did not dance around this issue, but he brought up a completely inappropriate comparison. He said that no such notation exists about records set in the ’80s, the “cocaine era.” I’ve heard this comparison before, and I’m getting very tired of it. Nobody has ever referred to a cokehead as a “cheater.” Nobody has ever confided to those close to him, “I don’t want to use cocaine, but I feel I have to or I can’t compete.” There is no relation. Selig is being totally dishonest and is playing baseball fans for fools by using this comparison. Luckily for him, many fans are fools.
The broadcasters, however, cannot tell Selig he is full of crap, because they’re working for his network. How ironic. I’m thrilled to be watching this game on the MLB Network instead of YES, thus avoiding the Yankee propaganda machine referred to by Bob Raissman as “Al Yankzeera.” But now I’m getting clubbed with Selig’s see-no-evil, hear-no-evil views on baseball. But I’ll take this trade. It was only one inning.

No comments:

Post a Comment